Monday, May 18, 2009

My Butterfly Garden


My husband brought home eight railroad ties with some big vision. After lugging home the ties (over 100lbs a piece) and realizing he would need more, he changed his mind. I, in turn, got to use them for a butterfly garden for the kids. Okay, it's more for me, but it sounds better when I say it's for the kids. I planted a variety of plants and vegetables and all have done extremely well. I mixed about 60 bags soil, 20 bags compost, and 2 bales of peat moss in the planting bed. I even let the kids pick out some of the plants (which is hard because I am a little OCD) and this is the result. I have mint, onions, radishes, tomatoes, zinnas, milkweed, vinca, carolina jessimine, plumbago, lantana, gardenia, strawberries, rosemary, sunflowers, and my current obsession - red shield hibiscus.

No comments:

Post a Comment