Thursday, May 21, 2009

Red Shield Hibiscus

I first discovered this plant while visiting the local extension office of the Agricultural Center in St Johns County last fall. I had gone to id a tree growing along the woods, which turned out to be Chinese Tallow, but that's another post. I saw what I thought was a Japanese Maple growing near the parking lot. A volunteer working at chopping it down handed me a clipping and told me it was a hibiscus. I thought to myself "this is not a hibiscus" but didn't want to argue with the lady. Sure enough, as I later discovered after hours searching the internet, it was a Red Shield Hibiscus Hibiscus Acetosella sometimes referred to as Red Leaf, False Roselle, or African Rose Mallow.

I had found a new obsession. I was able to root and keep the plant alive on my patio until we had several frosts. I took a new clipping and kept in in the kitchen window. I babied that plant all winter and miraculously it survived. I was impatient though, I wanted more, more, more. I searched the nurseries and most people had never heard of it. Just by chance I stopped in The Greenery and they had several! That is the large plant you see. My clipping is the small plant just to the right.
In the meantime I ordered seeds from Park Seed and have started seedlings to give away to friends and family. I'm usually not a seed person (I'm too impatient) but the seeds are large and easy to grow. This seedling is about 2 months old. It will turn the dark burgundy when it in direct sun. I've heard they can get 10' high and is treated as a perennial here and annual in colder climates.

No comments:

Post a Comment